Monday, November 12, 2012

Bulkheads Stitched

So we finally have something that resembles a boat in the garage! I kind of had a few weeks of not doing much with the boat (climbing too much). Now that it finally looks like a boat, though, my motivation has returned in full. Here are some pictures of everything. I still have to clean up the garage and finish tightening everything down (especially the stern section). The power went out earlier, and I had to do most of the work by headlamp. It finally came back on right when I finished, of course.




The white is just epoxy dust from sanding. I haven't taken the time to wipe it down yet.

The deep V shape of the hull provides lateral resistance without the need for daggerboards. I am eventually going to add some skids that are about 4" deep along the keel for beaching and drying out. These skids will also add more lateral resistance for going to weather. These will be made of hardwood and will provide a sacrificial layer for wear. The front and rear cavities are the built in flotation chambers that keep the boat afloat in case of being holed. I'm probably going to fill these chambers with empty bottles in case they themselves become holed.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brad,
    Just discovered your blog and it's fascinating. I'm planning a cat of my own and looking for plans. The Tiki 21 looks very interesting. I also like the Janus design from Woods Designs. It might have a little more room thatn the Tiki but apparently the Tiki is 'easy' to build! Glad I'm not the only one thinking about bottles in the buoyancy tanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nigel. The main thing that made me go with the Tiki was it's proven abilities on the sea, and I got to go and sail on one and loved it. I have the study plans for the Tiki 21, Pahi 26, and Tiki 26. I'd be glad to mail any to you to borrow in order to help you decide, or I could at least scan you the material lists for each.

    ReplyDelete