Thursday, June 6, 2013

I got the starboard bunks all filleted in and glass taped today. I'm going to do a fill coat in the morning. I also knocked out all of the mini fillets for the beam compression struts and shaped and coated the port hull lifting bunk sections. I'm sorry for the poor pixel quality. There's almost no light in the garage after dark.

I used Scott Williams' method of blue masking tape again. I didn't want a full 3" piece of tape for the bunk fillets, so the tape makes a nice line and lets me make a narrower strip.

All taped and cut

All that's left on this hull are the lateral lifting section supports, a final epoxy coat, and varnish........and lots of sanding. I'm going to sleep in there tomorrow night to see how it feels!

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Well the starboard bunks are going to be installed today. I was going to do them yesterday, but I ended up going down to the coast to pick up a hobie 16 for a friend, and we sailed it out to the barrier islands all day. It has been almost a year since I've been on a cat, so we had a blast surfing back home at the end of the day. I put a pretty good coat of epoxy down in to the bilges of the starboard hull as a final coat. There's some orange peel, but it's the bilge. I just want it good and sealed. I also picked up some Interlux epoxy primekote for the anchor lockers. It's sad that West Marine no longer price matches online competitors. Apparently this changed in June :(   Nothing but the best, for Beto, though! Plus, doing the anchor lockers will give me some "not-so-visible practice" with two part paint for doing the outside of the hulls.