Thursday, December 31, 2015

Sailing with Roger on Little Cat

We are evading the winter rains of Florida with a two month road trip out West which also is aiding in getting Ali comfortable with living in a small space :)  Anyways, Roger Sullivan graciously let us go sailing on Little Cat in San Francisco on New Years Eve. It was a real treat to accomplish a goal of sailing under the Golden Gate for the first time and even better to achieve such a feat on a Tiki 21 like Beto when there are so few of them around the States. Thanks again Roger for hooking us up! We are even more excited to move onto Beto in late February and start cruising Florida after today.

Check out Roger's blog here:
http://tiki21littlecat.blogspot.com/











Tide Against us in Racoon Straits until we got halfway through. Wharrams do go to windward, albeit a little slowly! 


Ali could get cold in the heat of a Mississippi summer afternoon. Despite this, she never complains, so we like her ;)




8 comments:

  1. It was a pleasure guys - love the pics
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad,

    I'd like to budget for the Tiki 21 before buying the plans. I am in Lunenburg, NS. Would you mind emailing me the material list? I am not planning to sail the Tiki here, it's just too cold, ok for test sailing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. James is a bit protective of giving out information. I'd spend the 25 bucks or so to get the Study Plans. They have a ton of information and a full material list for the Tiki. All in all I spent around 10K USD with my trailer I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No worries Brad. I am still evaluating about building either Tiki or Hinemoa. I would modify the cabin profile on either to go offshore. Thanks for taking the time to write a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the compliments. I hope the blog helped some. The Hinemoa is beefier than the tiki, but a bit more sluggish and less weatherly I believe. I think I remember the Hinemoa being cheaper to build for some reason. Maybe not. Definitely go with the Tiki Wingsail though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For what I understand, the original rig makes Hinemoa less weatherly. I would use Tiki's Dutch rig. Cheaper because less epoxy I guess. Hinemoa is built on a framework. Less plywood too. Tiki seems to waste a lot of ply with the big cutouts in the frames. And yes your blog helped a lot to pictorially describe the building process.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That would make sense. I'm personally eye-balling the Mana 24 right now. Maybe you should wait and build one of those bad boys.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I fear a kit will be vastly more expensive than building from scratch. It might be ok to pick it up at the Wharram base but shipping to North America will be terribly expensive.
    I don't know if they also want to offer Mana as plans only. Mana is attractive indeed. I like the mini keels, the projecting stem, the beam pockets doubling as mast beams, the size, the weight, the rig.

    ReplyDelete