Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Mast Beam

It's unfortunate that most of the work doesn't show in these pictures. Today I spent a good two hours belt sanding down the compression blocks flush with the plywood web of the crossbeam. This was a grueling task as there are (I believe) 28 blocks to sand which are all .75 X 1.5 inches of Douglas Fir. After that, I spent another 45 minutes sanding the top plank down to 80 grit, rounding the edges, and fitting it to the web. Then came the final fit and gluing of the top plank. I was going to do some fillets on the plank today, but the wind has picked up, and it was funneling through the storage room corridor and blowing all of my shit all over the place. Needless to say, I gave up on the fillet idea for today! I may get around to them tomorrow after work if there isn't any rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment