Thursday, January 24, 2013

Wind Vane

Today graced me with exceptionally cold temperatures, and I decided to get all of the wind vane parts cut out. I'm glad I did, because the thing looks really cool! I still have to glue on the arm for the weight and epoxy everything etc etc, but here are some pics of what it looks like right now. I just nailed the 2x4 as a temporary fix at the base of the mount. There will also be a post that the vane stands on, but you can't do everything in one day, so those pictures will have to come later on. I'm stoked about the idea of sitting in my hull under a dodger while the vane steers away with no gripes or complaints. It's going to be awesome.




5 comments:

  1. Looking good Brad. Is that a Wharram design wind vane?
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roger. It's a Belcher MKII vane. It's the same one that Rory used on Cookie. Are you planning on building a vane for Little Cat? If so, I could send you the plans. The book is out of print and $$$ as a result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brad,
    I got the Belcher book from the library and am getting enthusiastic - the main problem I can see is where to mount it? Are you planning on the side-to-side arrangement that Rory uses, or something else?
    Cheers,
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still thinking about the mount, but I will probably end up with the same setup as Rory. I'm debating whether I want to make the cabin tops rounded or do the normal overhang setup. Either way, I don't want to have a rear beam, so will probably go with the side to side method.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi brad, im currently finishing a tiki 21. I tryed to get belchior book but very hard in brasil, is it possible you can share the drawings ? You cans end to ecocharlie13@gmail.com

    Tks a lot!

    ReplyDelete